Monday, August 17, 2015

Making my own canvas and abstract art.

Inferno

Lost at Sea


Found a nice round bolt of white thick fabric at a thrift store.  Love when I get a deal on things I need.  I bought 2 x 3 x 6 furring strips and made a simple framework.  I then used a stapler to stretch the fabric and staple it to the frame.  I put a coat of gesso on let it dry then began my paintings.  The beauty of making your own canvas is that you can make larger frames at an affordable price.   I have to admit that they are not stretched as tight as the store bought frames and hopefully with practice and time I can learn to make them tighter.   As an artist it is important to keep track of trends and what sells.  There is some debate on whether or not you should do this and personally I like creating what I like regardless of whether or not anyone else likes it.  But..... while that is what I like to do, I have to sell art to fund my creative passions.  I read somewhere that people like red and art with red tends to sell more than some other colors.   I took a close look at what I generally create, the predominate colors are blues and greens.  I know that stems from my love of the sea.   I have had a lot of fun creating some of the abstract works and decided to try reds, oranges, yellows in the work titled "Inferno".  The finished product reminded me of a lava flow and the name just popped into my head.   To give my eyes a rest, the next painting I used my familiar blues and greens and the finished result looked like turbulent seas, thus the title: "Lost at Sea".     Both of these works are larger than I usually paint and measure: 18 x 31.  They are currently hanging at: Across the Tracks, artist market in Livingston, TX 

No comments:

Post a Comment