Monday, August 24, 2015

Mermaids and Sirens

Siren's Call

Since I was a child I have always been fascinated by mermaids.  I loved when the National Geographic special came out titled "Mermaids the body found" and was glued to the TV.  I have to admit, I bought it, hook, line and sinker :) and was really disappointed to learn it was not based on real evidence.  Whether they really exist or not, it is a wonderful myth and mysteries always intrigue us.   For centuries there have been stories and legends and since we know so little of our seas and what creatures really exist, it is easy to believe (especially for those of us that have over active imaginations).  I started this canvas as an abstract work and left a layer to dry.  I was teaching a Zentangle class at the time and decided it would be interesting to combine a woman's face with  Zentangle inspired hair using colors you see in the sea.    I left her skin pale because I imagined that  she has spent her life under the water.   What I love about this work is the mixture of techniques and styles.    

No comments:

Post a Comment