Thursday, February 9, 2012

Scrimshaw Carvings



Blue Whale
Have always loved the look of scrimshaw and the history behind it.  I can just envision sailors at sea carving bits and pieces to create beautiful scenes out of bone.  The look of ivory has always appealed to me and I decided to use old ivory colored dominos as my canvas. 

Sea Horse
Whale Scrimshaw
I sketched my design then began to carve over the lines.  I first started with a dremmel tool but had trouble with my lines being too big.  I ended up using the pointy end of small metal files and dug directly into the domino.  I then blacked in the lines with ink.  I covered the back and side with solder and blacked the metal for an old world feel. 

 Some of the chains are simple ball chains (also blackened) and some are hand dyed silk ribbon or chain material with accent beads.  In time I am sure I will get better at controling my files but overall the feel is right and I like the look. The five shown here are at the Woodlands Art Gallery this month but I plan on making more to put in my Trace Fragments Etsy site soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment